The Colorado Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) envisions a Colorado that offers equal and full participation in professional and community life to all people with disabilities.
Colorado SILC is paving the pathway to full participation for the community of people with disabilities served by Colorado’s centers for independent living. They further this mission by strengthening independent living centers, advocating for change with elected and appointed officials, and educating the general public about independent living.
Colorado SILC’s mission, vision and values are built on the fundamental concept of the independent living philosophy, which challenges the long-held view that “people with disabilities need care from their community” to one of “people with disabilities can determine the type of support they need to live in and contribute to their community.”
- recognizes the value of all people, and acknowledges their rights to dignity, freedom and inclusion;
- supports a cross-disability, multicultural and disability justice perspective that promotes consumer control;
- believes that the application of independent living philosophy and the delivery of independent living services create an environment that supports the potential of all Coloradoans;
- partners with Colorado’s independent living centers to ensure that every person with a disability in our state who wants to live independently has the resources to do so;
- promotes systemic reform to remove barriers to independent living;
- conducts research to inform policymakers and the general public;
- is a resource for people with disabilities and the communities in which they live; and
- creates the state plan for independent living in collaboration with public and private stakeholders
Independent living is simply that—living in your own home, in your own community, and making your own decisions. Independent living is being in control of your own life, taking responsibility for your actions, taking risks, and either failing or succeeding on your own terms.
Colorado Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)
633 17thth Street, 15tthFloor
Denver, CO 80202